HFC History

HFC History


Hall For Cornwall occupies an important Grade II* listed heritage building built in 1846. Originally it housed the market place and civic rooms and was home to the stannary parliament and courts and has always had both municpal and social prominence in Truro and the surrounding community. As we embark on the development phase of our Heritage Lottery Fund project, we will uncover and share the building's untold stories and reflect on it's functions over time. Here are some of the key moments in it's history to date.

1807-9 The first market place and municipal rooms are built on the site. The site was acquired in the form of tenements, adjacent to the Middle Row buildings that incorporated the older 1615 Market House, Stannary court and jail.

1820 Property adjoining the market site is procured by the Town Council. In 1821 the last remaining Middle Row buildings are demolished, opening up the front of the City Hall site onto the newly formed Boscawen street.

1846-7 A new building is erected on the site and spreads to incorporate land to the side, designed by architect Charles Eales. This is the building seen today, and originally had 56 Butchers stalls, and stalls for vegetables and other produce. It also housed the fire brigade and police station on the ground floor, and town hall and administrave offices for Truro Council above.

1858 A new clock tower is installed on the building.

1866-76 An extension to the south of the space is completed and the Corn Exchange space is subsumed into the hall.

1902 The market is declining and talks begin about new use of spaces.

1907-12 The space was divided and partly used for social uses including a skating rink in 1907 and a cinema in 1912.

1914 A major fire gutted the building. Some remnants of previous decor still remain in the roof crawlspaces, and the roof appears to have been replaced without change to its original appearance.

1923 Back Quay is infilled and paved over.

1924-5 The space is remodelled with a stage.

1948-9 A Balcony and other modifications are achieved, shops are inserted into the Boscawen street side.

c1960 The space is used for Fatstock shows, fashion shows and as a venue for music events and concerts.

c1985 The now deteriorated space is taken for lease by opera singer Benjamin Luxon.

c1990 A campaign sees funding gained for the rebuilding of the central space as a Theatre.

1997 Hall For Cornwall opens.