Better By Far: Redevelopment's Key Benefits
Our community. We’ve been in it and part of it since day one. Now we’re building somewhere to deepen that connection and grow our community still further – breaking smiles, bringing tears and raising pulses for everyone in Cornwall.
The key features of our redevelopment include:
- A new, three-tiered auditorium with improved sightlines, acoustics and an intimate atmosphere.
- More seats, attracting higher quality shows to premiere in Cornwall for the first time.
- A warmer welcome and improved audience experience thanks to communal cafés and bar areas on both sides of the building.
- Improved wheelchair access and accessible seating. We’re also creating a Space to Change facility, complete with a ceiling track hoist and adjustable adult-sized changing bench.
- A brand new front entrance on Boscawen Street, leading into an Ope that runs through the building to Lemon Quay, giving everyone who comes inside the chance to get behind-the-scenes glimpses into the daytime workings of our auditorium.
These features will help us:
- Build a long-term future for our theatre, with a stable, sturdy focus on reinvesting in young people programming, maintenance, training and development.
- Bring £35.6 million to the Cornish economy by 2025/26 and create 165 jobs.
- Grow opportunities for every young person in Cornwall to feel the effect of live performance.
- Shape a space for innovating not imitating; nurturing Cornwall’s original creative talent to grow, explore and share their unique work with new audiences in the wider world.
- Strengthen support for our resident companies and offer a foothold for the next generation of practitioners and artists.
- Carve out compelling credentials as a visitor, tourism and heritage destination to support the local economy and Truro’s social economic regeneration.
- Create new jobs, adding to Cornwall’s economic resilience.
- Make operational and sustainable changes that improve efficiency and decrease environmental impact.
- Present a diverse programme of the highest quality touring shows from across the UK and overseas. We’ll balance popular work and classics with creative risk taking and Cornish-generated projects.
- Introduce the Heritage Lottery-funded Revealing City Hall project – telling our building’s story and celebrating its rich 175-year history .
- Launch a a creative digital business hub (Local Enterprise Partnership-funded) in the Back Quay area of our building. We’ll provide office, meeting and breakout spaces for Hall for Cornwall staff, resident companies, post-graduates and other creative industry businesses.
Open Day March 2019
Open Day 2019 - exposed arches and Conish granite walls
Open Day 2019 - cleared our auditorium & new raised roof
Open Day March 2019 - Raising the Roof
Architect side view of new tiered auditorium
Architect image of Boscawen Hall new entrance
Architect image of cross section of new venue
Architect image of cut through of new venue
New three tiered auditorium
Balcony of new tiered auditorium
Architect image of stalls in new auditorium