Better By Far: Redevelopment's Key Benefits
Our community. We’ve been in it and part of it since day one. Now we’re building somewhere to deepen that connection and grow our community still further – breaking smiles, bringing tears and raising pulses for everyone in Cornwall.
The key features of our redevelopment include:
- A new, three-tiered auditorium with improved sightlines, acoustics and an intimate atmosphere.
- More seats, attracting higher quality shows to premiere in Cornwall for the first time.
- A warmer welcome and improved audience experience thanks to communal cafés and bar areas on both sides of the building.
- Improved wheelchair access and accessible seating. We’re also creating a Space to Change facility, complete with a ceiling track hoist and adjustable adult-sized changing bench.
- A brand new front entrance on Boscawen Street, leading into an Ope that runs through the building to Lemon Quay, giving everyone who comes inside the chance to get behind-the-scenes glimpses into the daytime workings of our auditorium.
These features will help us:
- Build a long-term future for our theatre, with a stable, sturdy focus on reinvesting in young people programming, maintenance, training and development.
- Bring £35.6 million to the Cornish economy by 2025/26 and create 165 jobs.
- Grow opportunities for every young person in Cornwall to feel the effect of live performance.
- Shape a space for innovating not imitating; nurturing Cornwall’s original creative talent to grow, explore and share their unique work with new audiences in the wider world.
- Strengthen support for our resident companies and offer a foothold for the next generation of practitioners and artists.
- Carve out compelling credentials as a visitor, tourism and heritage destination to support the local economy and Truro’s social economic regeneration.
- Create new jobs, adding to Cornwall’s economic resilience.
- Make operational and sustainable changes that improve efficiency and decrease environmental impact.
- Present a diverse programme of the highest quality touring shows from across the UK and overseas. We’ll balance popular work and classics with creative risk taking and Cornish-generated projects.
- Introduce the Heritage Lottery-funded Revealing City Hall project – telling our building’s story and celebrating its rich 175-year history .
- Launch a a creative digital business hub (Local Enterprise Partnership-funded) in the Back Quay area of our building. We’ll provide office, meeting and breakout spaces for Hall for Cornwall staff, resident companies, post-graduates and other creative industry businesses.