Flea market stall layout

City Hall was built in 1846 to house the headquarters of the local council. In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make the market hall at the rear of the complex available for public use. This resulted in the market hall operating as a skating rink in 1907 and then as a cinema in 1912. The market hall was then remodelled as a theatre with a stage in 1925 and, following a period of neglect in the 1960s, served as a flea market in the 1970s. This image is a sketch of the layout of stalls for the flea market which was held at City Hall on Saturday the 30th of March. Each highlighted number corresponds with a stall holder who had paid a fee to sell at the market.

Flea market stall holders

City Hall was built in 1846 to house the headquarters of the local council. In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make the market hall at the rear of the complex available for public use. This resulted in the market hall operating as a skating rink in 1907 and then as a cinema in 1912. The market hall was then remodelled as a theatre with a stage in 1925 and, following a period of neglect in the 1960s, served as a flea market in the 1970s. Listed here are the stall holders who had paid a fee to sell at the flea market which was held at City Hall on Saturday the 30th of March. The numbers in the first column correspond with the layout of stalls in the market hall.

Press release, March 1995

Dennis Arbon was an unwavering supporter and eventual trustee of Hall for Cornwall. His relationship with HfC began in the 1990s when he stepped in to make considerable financial donations to the theatre, its associated organisations and fundraising campaigns. He was then appointed to the venue’s board in the late 1990’s and served for four years as Chair, helping in the process to secure the future of the theatre during a period of significant financial difficulty. Dennis was awarded an MBE for his outstanding services and philanthropic contributions to the arts and the community in Cornwall in 2013.

Cinderella at Hall for Cornwall, c. 1997

City Hall Truro’s theatre opened as the newly refurbished Hall for Cornwall in November 1997. During its first Christmas season, Hall for Cornwall, in association with Albemarle Montrose Productions and C&A, staged the Cinderella pantomine. The production ran between the 19th of December and 10th of January and featured Heather Jay Jones as Cinderella and Robbie Dee as Buttons. The newly refurbished Hall also included a restauraunt called Stars which was housed on the mezzanine level overlooking the main entrance and boasted ‘an enviable reputation for first class cuisine.’

Plan of Truro new public hall, 1924

City Hall was built in 1846 to house the headquarters of the local council. In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make the market hall at the rear of the complex available for public use. This resulted in the market hall operating as a skating rink in 1907 and then as a cinema in 1912. The market hall was then remodelled as a theatre with a stage in 1925.