A music event at City Hall (4)

In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make City Hall’s market hall available for public use. Since then, the Hall has operated as an extremely flexible and versatile arts, performance and events venue and has held many a function during its 100 year history as a public space. This photograph is from a music event which was held at the Hall in the period 1993-94.

A music event at City Hall (5)

In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make City Hall’s market hall available for public use. Since then, the Hall has operated as an extremely flexible and versatile arts, performance and events venue and has held many a function during its 100 year history as a public space. This photograph is from a music event which was held at the Hall in the period 1993-94.

A music event at City Hall (6)

In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make City Hall’s market hall available for public use. Since then, the Hall has operated as an extremely flexible and versatile arts, performance and events venue and has held many a function during its 100 year history as a public space. This photograph is from a music event which was held at the Hall in the period 1993-94.

Filling in Back Quay (1)

The River Kenwyn ran through both Back Quay and Lemon Quay in the centre of Truro until the 1920s. Running immediately behind City Hall, the river proved a useful vantage point for the recievership of goods that arrived and departed on the boats which docked at the quays during the 19th century. The river was eventually covered over in the 1920s as part of the process of ‘filling in’ Back Quay.

Filling in Back Quay (2)

The River Kenwyn ran through both Back Quay and Lemon Quay in the centre of Truro until the 1920s. Running immediately behind City Hall, the river proved a useful vantage point for the recievership of goods that arrived and departed on the boats which docked at the quays during the 19th century. The river was eventually covered over in the 1920s as part of the process of ‘filling in’ Back Quay.

Back Quay c. 1995-97

In 1995, enough funds had finally been raised to begin the refurbishment of City Hall. This photograph shows the River Kenwyn as it’s sent into it’s cover underneath Back Quay. Until the 1920s, the River Kenwyn ran through both Back Quay and Lemon Quay until the river was covered over as part of the process of ‘filling in’ Back Quay. Also visible in the background are the cranes operating on the refurbishment of City Hall.

Flea market stall layout

City Hall was built in 1846 to house the headquarters of the local council. In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make the market hall at the rear of the complex available for public use. This resulted in the market hall operating as a skating rink in 1907 and then as a cinema in 1912. The market hall was then remodelled as a theatre with a stage in 1925 and, following a period of neglect in the 1960s, served as a flea market in the 1970s. This image is a sketch of the layout of stalls for the flea market which was held at City Hall on Saturday the 30th of March. Each highlighted number corresponds with a stall holder who had paid a fee to sell at the market.

Flea market stall holders

City Hall was built in 1846 to house the headquarters of the local council. In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make the market hall at the rear of the complex available for public use. This resulted in the market hall operating as a skating rink in 1907 and then as a cinema in 1912. The market hall was then remodelled as a theatre with a stage in 1925 and, following a period of neglect in the 1960s, served as a flea market in the 1970s. Listed here are the stall holders who had paid a fee to sell at the flea market which was held at City Hall on Saturday the 30th of March. The numbers in the first column correspond with the layout of stalls in the market hall.