A music event at City Hall (1)

In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make City Hall’s market hall available for public use. Since then, the Hall has operated as an extremely flexible and versatile arts, performance and events venue and has held many a function during its 100 year history as a public space. This photograph is from a music event which was held at the Hall in the period 1993-94. Taken from the back of the theatre space, it showcases the interior architecture of the Hall’s vaulted roof on Doric columns whilst also conveying the electric atmosphere of the packed space.

A music event at City Hall (2)

In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make City Hall’s market hall available for public use. Since then, the Hall has operated as an extremely flexible and versatile arts, performance and events venue and has held many a function during its 100 year history as a public space. This photograph features the bar staff replenishing the till during a musical performance in the former market hall space, c. 1993-94.

A music event at City Hall (3)

In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make City Hall’s market hall available for public use. Since then, the Hall has operated as an extremely flexible and versatile arts, performance and events venue and has held many a function during its 100 year history as a public space. This is photograph features the bar in the market hall space during a music event in the period 1993-94.

Filling in Back Quay (1)

The River Kenwyn ran through both Back Quay and Lemon Quay in the centre of Truro until the 1920s. Running immediately behind City Hall, the river proved a useful vantage point for the recievership of goods that arrived and departed on the boats which docked at the quays during the 19th century. The river was eventually covered over in the 1920s as part of the process of ‘filling in’ Back Quay.

Filling in Back Quay (2)

The River Kenwyn ran through both Back Quay and Lemon Quay in the centre of Truro until the 1920s. Running immediately behind City Hall, the river proved a useful vantage point for the recievership of goods that arrived and departed on the boats which docked at the quays during the 19th century. The river was eventually covered over in the 1920s as part of the process of ‘filling in’ Back Quay.

Flea market stall layout

City Hall was built in 1846 to house the headquarters of the local council. In the early 20th century, civic leaders decided to make the market hall at the rear of the complex available for public use. This resulted in the market hall operating as a skating rink in 1907 and then as a cinema in 1912. The market hall was then remodelled as a theatre with a stage in 1925 and, following a period of neglect in the 1960s, served as a flea market in the 1970s. This image is a sketch of the layout of stalls for the flea market which was held at City Hall on Saturday the 30th of March. Each highlighted number corresponds with a stall holder who had paid a fee to sell at the market.

NHS in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly 50th anniversary concert, 1998

The NHS was established by Clement Atlee’s Labour government in July 1948. In 1998, the service celebrated it’s 50th anniversary which encouraged a series of celebrations to commence across the country. A concert was thus staged at Hall for Cornwall to commemerate this significant anniversary of the NHS in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.

Jack’s Cows

Jack’s Cows was a public art project by Hall for Cornwall where life size cow sculptures appeared all over the county in the summer of 2009. The cows were available to sponsor at a cost of £1,000 and provided an advertisement oppurtunity for local businesses. The sponsors then chose an artist to decorate their cow before deciding on a design and an area to display it. The sculptures then appeared all over Cornwall before featuring at a two day public exhibition at HfC. Three of the cows were then sold in an auction at HfC in September 2009, with the funds from the proceedings raising money for the theatre’s Loved to Bits campaign.

Festival of Community Arts (1)

Kernow Bys Vyken means Cornwall Forever. In the early 2000s, an initiative launced across Cornwall to celebrate the story and spirit of the county and to raise awareness of its history. As one of many participating institutions, Hall for Cornwall launced A Festival of Community Arts which commissioned a series of performances and events which responded to this agenda.